RWC - Roadworthy Certificates & Roadworthiness in Victoria


RWC – Certificate of Roadworthiness in Preston or Heidelberg.

In Victoria an RWC, or Certificate of Roadworthiness, is needed before a vehicle can be sold or when purchased unregistered and it needs to be re-registered. A Licensed Vehicle Tester must check that your vehicle meets the standards set out under Regulation 220 by the Roads Corporation, or VicRoads, prior to a Certificate of Roadworthiness being issued.

RWC & Vehicle Inspections Preston 

Occasionally a Certificate of Roadworthiness is also needed before you can have a defect notice removed from a vehicle or it may be required as part of a required inspection for vehicles such as taxis and buses (which must undergo regular, periodic mandatory Inspections).

What does Certificate of Roadworthiness cover?

A roadworthy certificate inspection is not a pre-purchase inspection and does not take into account the overall condition or mechanical reliability of the vehicle. Where a pre purchase inspection giving comprehensive details of the general condition or value of the vehicle is desired, you should consider arranging for a separate independent pre-purchase inspection.

It is also important to note that a Certificate of Roadworthiness does not constitute a complete assessment of a vehicle's compliance with the Standards for Registration. These standards are generally governed by the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) and are often beyond the scope of a Roadworthy Inspection.

On The Move Mechanical Repairs in Preston are Licensed Vehicle Testers and are able to to issue Certificates of Roadworthiness. Bring your car in to our well equipped workshop or Book a Roadworthy Inspection Online.

For more information about RWC Inspections in Preston and Heidleberg click on the RWC FAQS below


How can I get a Certificate of Roadworthiness?

A vehicle must undergo inspection and be deemed free of any alterations, deterioration or wear which may render it unsafe for normal use on the roads. It must be confirmed the car meets the standards set out under Regulation 220, prior to the vehicle being issued any certificate of roadworthiness. Book a Roadworthy Certificate Inspection with On The Move Mechanical Repairs

Why Do I Need a Certificate of Roadworthiness?

Vehicle owners are responsible for maintaining their vehicle in a safe and roadworthy condition at all times but wear and tear can cause the condition of a car to deteriorate over time and modifications or alterations can impact a vehicles safety.

Testing of roadworthiness helps to lessen potential hazards to protect all road users. An RWC also protects prospective purchasers of used vehicles from buying a vehicle which could possibly be in a hazardous condition. Book an RWC Inspection Now

How much should a Certificate of Roadworthiness cost?

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can be tricky to price. The age of the vehicle and the overall condition at the time of inspection will have an impact on the overall cost, as will the type of vehicle undergoing the roadworthy inspection. Because of this the actual cost of an RWC will vary, sometimes quite signifcantly.

On The Move Mechanical Repairs will be happy to provide a quote for the cost of the Certificate of Roadworthiness inspection before any work begins. Contact us Now

How long will a Certificate of Roadworthiness remain current?

For the purposes of a transaction, such as the sale of a vehicle, a Certificate of Roadworthiness will be considered as current for a period of 30 days from the date of issue.

Who can issue a certificate of Roadworthiness?

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can only be issued by a Licensed Vehicle Tester operating from a nominated facility, usually a workshop or garage. As a Licensed Vehicle Testing station On The Move Mechanical Repairs in Preston are able to issue Certificates of Roadworthiness. Book RWC Inspection Today

How can I get a Certificate of Roadworthiness?

Before a certificate of roadworthiness can be issued for a vehicle, the vehicle must be inspected by a licensed vehicle tester and found to be free of wear and deterioration or alterations that would make it unsafe for normal use on the road.

Who decides if a vehicle is Roadworthy?

Neither the workshop conducting the roadworthy inspection, nor the Licensed Vehicle Tester performing the actual examination of the vehicle are responsible for setting the standards a vehicle must meet to be issued a Certificate of Roadworthiness. These standards are clearly defined by VicRoads, the licensed vehicle tester merely confirms whether the vehicle meets the standards as specified.

What are ADR’s?

The ADRs (Australian Design Rules) are a set of minimum standards for the construction of vehicles and trailers whether they are made here or imported. A Roadworthy Inspection may not cover all of these standards as in most cases, compliance with them cannot be assessed by inspection alone.

Saturday car service available by appointment only - please contact us or book a service online!

Specialist Car Services